Coconut Cupcake Recipe with Sweet Summer Cherries
All Purpose Flour 2 cups
Baking Powder 2 teaspoons
Salt ¾ teaspoon
Maple Syrup (can substitute with sugar) ½ cup
Vanilla extract ½ teaspoon
Almond Extract ½ teaspoon
Sliced almonds ¼ cup
Coconut Milk 1 ¼ cup
Shredded Coconut 1 cup
Cornstarch 2 tablespoons
Cherries, roughly chopped ¾ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and put rack in middle of oven. Place paper cups in muffin tin.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix butter and maple syrup with an electric stand or hand mixer (paddle attachment) on medium speed for a couple of minutes
- Add vanilla and almond extract to butter mixture. Then beat in each egg, one at a time.
- Turn the speed to low and slowly add ⅓ of the flour mixture followed by ⅓ of the coconut milk. Continue alternating with flour and coconut milk until just combined. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gently mix in shredded coconut and almonds. Be careful not over mix.
- Fold in cherries with a spatula or spoon.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 21-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in muffin tins for five minutes. Then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: Pulse the shredded coconut in a food processor with the sliced almonds to break it up a bit.
Note: Adding cornstarch makes for a more delicate cake.
2 sticks, room temperature butter
2/12 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup coconut milk
½ cup flaked coconut
- Blend butter and sugar in electric mixer with whisk attachment or use a hand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly add in coconut milk until combined.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the creamy frosting onto the cupcakes (or a piping bag for a more polished look) and sprinkle with flaked coconut.
Enjoyed this recipe? See our Scottish Shortbread Cookie Recipe, too!
If you are traveling this summer, you’ll love the Summer Travel Bag we put together. ♥️